Sony finally confirmed rumors that Housemarque’s AAA roguelite third person shooter, Returnal, will release on PC early 2023.
If the trailer piqued your interest, or you just want more information about Returnal, you can find the official overview below:
Break the cycle as this award-winning third-person shooter brings bullet hell action to PC. Selene’s roguelike odyssey arrives with a suite of arresting graphical and performance-based enhancements to ensure an unforgettable journey.
This includes the full Returnal™ experience, complete with Suspend Cycle, Photo and Co-op Modes, as well as the Tower of Sisyphus included from day one.
After crash-landing on this shape-shifting world, Selene must search through the barren landscape of an ancient civilization for her escape. Isolated and alone, she finds herself fighting tooth and nail for survival. Again and again, she’s defeated – forced to restart her journey every time she dies.
Through fast, relentless gameplay, you’ll discover that just as the planet changes with every cycle, so do the items at your disposal. Every loop offers new combinations, empowering you to push your boundaries and approach combat with a different strategy each time.
Brought to life by stunning visual effects, the dark beauty of the decaying world around you is packed with explosive surprises. From high stakes, bullet hell-fuelled combat, to jaw-dropping twists and turns set across stark and contrasting environments. You’ll explore, discover and fight your way through an unforgiving journey, where mystery stalks your every move.
Designed for extreme replayability, the procedural world of Returnal invites you to dust yourself off in the face of defeat and take on new, evolving challenges with every rebirth.
In Co-op Mode, share your journey through the shifting labyrinth of Atropos with another PC player. (****) The hostile nature of Atropos will remain unwavering, but the possibility of teamwork adds a whole new dimension and means of survival.
Each player controls a different version of Selene, from different cycles. Using the Chronosis device located in each biome, the host player summons a friend or is matched with another random online player. The progress of the host determines the available item pool for the duration of the multiplayer session.
Tower of Sisyphus:
Next time you wake at the crash site, look up. You should be able to see a gate towards the Tower of Sisyphus, accessible as long as you’ve unlocked the Icarian Grapnel.
(****) In this Tower, prepare for a new kind of challenge. It’s a nearly endless ascending gauntlet with a pure focus on combat, how high you build up your score and progress, exclusive items, Scout logs and as-yet unseen fragments from Selene’s story.
(****) The Tower of Sisyphus, House sequences and Challenge Mode are not available in Co-op Mode.
• Fight to survive in this third-person roguelike shooter.
• Take on ruthless enemies in explosive, bullet hell-fueled combat.
• Switch instinctively between firing modes by using a single adaptive trigger – go straight from aiming down sights to your gun’s alternative fire.
• Manage equipment and resources carefully – every time you die, you restart from the beginning.
• Feel in-game actions via haptic feedback, as you explore a world that transforms around you with every cycle.
• Scavenge alien tech for upgrades to enhance your abilities in future cycles.
HAUNTING NARRATIVEEpic Game Store
• Piece together fragments of Selene’s memories as she seeks out answers.
• Forge a personal connection with the planet as you explore its constantly evolving and decaying terrain.
• Uncover the truth as you jump rapidly through portals between worlds, dependent on your PC setup.