Gjallarhorn is, without question, the one gun players associate with the original Destiny. So much so it was, to no one’s surprise, not included in Destiny 2. This changes with the recently released Bungie 30th Anniversary Pack, making the gun a must for fans and fear for those on the fence with the pack. Now that the update is out, this is how to unlock Gjallarhorn in Destiny 2.
How to Unlock Gjallarhorn in Destiny 2
After finishing the initial quest (or quitting/losing connection), you’ll notice a couple new quests to do. One of the first is And Out Fly the Wolves, which is both a reference to the Wolfpack Rounds exotic perk and needed to unlock Gjallarhorn. This will send you to the Cosmodrome to talk to Shaw Han, who will start you on the quest.
Step One: Complete Grasp of Avarice Dungeon
This is a fairly demanding dungeon that has a number of challenges and mechanics to overcome. Unfortunately, we won’t spoil all the secrets, but here is a run down of the basic tasks needed to overcome the Grasp of Avarice.
- Kill enemies for and lookout for exotic engram looking items that drop. This will give you a status called “Burden by Riches,” which must be brought to the crystal located in the old loot cave within 30 seconds. Note, picking up another will reset the timer. Simply bringing them there is enough and once enough have been collected, a hole under the crystal will open revealing the path forward.
- The next area is just a puzzle, which comes down to avoiding pressure plates and realizing which level and buttons are the right ones to push.
- For the first boss you’re going to need to collect the Scorch Cannon that spawns in the back of the map and look to the right and left to see which module above the door is glowing. Shoot it and that will open the door with a wide variety of enemies to fight. You must collect the Burden by Riches, bring them to the crystal and once the Ogre is tempted, do damage. It might take a few cycles, but it isn’t too bad.
- After another somewhat puzzling section, you’ll have another boss, though this one is purely mechanics. Basically, look for swarms of enemies and kill them to collect Burden by Riches. Take that to a nearby crystal, which will eventually break the shield for the nearby Servator. Kill it and bring it to the jump pad. Line up the pad with the enemy ship, use the Scorch Cannon to activate it and it should hit the ship to do damage. Please note, you have a limited amount of time to move the body, though failing does not cause a wipe.
- For the last bit, simply repeat the previous mechanics. Find the Scorch Cannon, shoot the illuminated modules and then bring the Burden by Riches to the nearby crystal to break the bosses shield. I suggest killing all the enemies before depositing but crafty plays can make short work of things.
Step Two: Return Wolfpack Round to Shaw Han
Just talk to Shaw Han at the Cosmodrome and he will tell you to collect Wolfpack Rounds from Powerful Fallen.
Step Three: Collect Wolfpack Rounds from powerful Fallen
These are not any particularly powerful enemies. I killed various warring Fallen and eventually got it, though you can do other activities or things and also get it.
Step Four: Return to Shaw Han
You’ll be told to find intel out about Gjallarhorn by asking none-other than Banshee-44.
Step Five: Visit Banshee-44 in the Tower
Talk to Banshee-44 at the tower and he will tell you he heard some things about parts being at a specific Lost Sector.
Step Six: Complete Lost Sector “Exodus Garden 2A”
While the map will point directly to it, this is the Lost Sector south of where Shaw Han is. Please note, it requires you jump onto a couple platforms to get there. If you can do the dungeon, this should be a joke.
Step Seven: Construct Gjallarhorn
After finishing the Lost Sector, return to where Shaw Han is, jump down and then go south. There will be a bench where you can assemble the parts.
Step Eight: Talk to Shaw Han
Return to Shaw Han and he will give you the exotic.
The new version also has a slightly updated exotic perk that might make things a bit more… fair when played with others.