Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today that PS5 M.2 SSD support and other big changes will launch on September 15.
One of the new features that are coming to PS5 via a firmware update on September 15 is the ability to use the M.2 SSD storage, 3D Audio Support for built-in TV speakers, and more. Other quality of life improvements is the ability to track trophies, video share screen broadcasts on PlayStation App, and more.
Find below the full list of updates, via Sony:
PlayStation 5 User Experience Enhancements
The PlayStation 5 September Update features new user experience enhancements that make it easier than ever for players to view, personalize and manage their game content and console experience:
- Control Center Customization – Players can now customize their Control Center more freely by rearranging or choosing which controls to hide or unhide at the bottom of the screen.
- Enhanced Game Base – Players can now easily view and write messages to friends and Parties directly from Game Base in the Control Center.
While viewing Game Base in full screen, players can also see how many of their friends are online, busy, or offline, as well as accept, decline or cancel multiple friend requests at once.
- Game Library and Home Screen Updates – If you have PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the same game installed, they’ll now appear separately in the “Installed” tab of the Game Library and on the Home screen. Each game’s tile now also clearly indicates its platform.
- Screen Reader Controls – Players can now pause or resume Screen Reader (Press “PlayStation + Triangle buttons”) and have it repeat anything it reads (Press “PlayStation + R1 buttons”).
New Gaming and Social Experience Customizations
- PlayStation Now Resolution Selector and Connection Test Tool – PlayStation Now subscribers can choose between 720p or 1080p (depending on individual game) to accommodate their preferred video resolution for game streaming. A streaming connection test also helps them identify and troubleshoot any problems with their connection.
- New Accolade Type: “Leader” – Following an online match, players can award others with a fourth accolade type, “Leader,” which is visible on players’ profiles.
- Automatic Capture of “Personal Best” Videos – When players compete in challenges for a better time or a higher score and set a new personal best, a video clip of the action will automatically be recorded. Players can also share clips of their personal bests directly from the challenge card in the Control Center, or from their Media Gallery. Players have direct control over this functionality via their Captures and Broadcast settings.
- New Trophy Tracker – We’ve added a new Trophy Tracker that lets players quickly access up to five trophies per game through the Control Center.
3D Audio Support for Built-In TV Speakers
The PlayStation 5 September Update adds support for players to experience 3D audio through their built-in TV speakers. Once enabled in the Sound menu, this feature transforms standard two-channel TV speaker audio into three-dimensional sound, heightening the sense of gameplay immersion. Players can measure the acoustics of their room using the microphone on their DualSense wireless controller to apply the 3D audio setting that’s optimized for their room.
3D audio via compatible headsets on PlayStation 5 has been a popular feature among fans and developers. We’re thrilled to bring this feature to life for players directly through their built-in TV speakers, in addition to the headset support that’s been available since launch.
In addition, players with a Pulse 3D Wireless Headset now have access to equalizer settings within Sound Controls, allowing them to customize the sound profile according to their preference.
M.2 SSD Storage Expansion
Starting tomorrow, PlayStation 5 players around the globe can expand their storage capacity with an M.2 SSD, a type of high-speed solid state drive that can be installed in the PlayStation 5 console or PlayStation 5 Digital Edition console.
Once installed in the PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 5 Digital Edition console, M.2 SSD storage can be used to download, copy, and launch PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 games, as well as media apps. You can play PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 games directly from M.2 SSD storage and freely move games between storage options.
Important: M.2 SSDs must meet the minimum performance and size requirements outlined on this page. Using an M.2 SSD also requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure (such as a heatsink) that meets the dimensional requirements. Please read the page linked above carefully before purchasing any M.2 SSD or cooling structure for use with PlayStation 5.
PlayStation Remote Play App and PlayStation App Enhancements
- PlayStation Remote Play App Over Mobile Networks
- With the PlayStation Remote Play App, players have enjoyed the ability to remotely stream and play PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 games, switch between games, and browse their console’s menus on any compatible device connected to their broadband network. Now, players using the mobile app for iOS and Android have the option of using a mobile data connection when WiFi is not available.
- Broadband internet with at least 5Mbps is required for PlayStation Remote Play. For the best experience, we recommend a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 15 Mbps.
- To help manage the amount of data used through a mobile connection, players can select their preferred video quality for mobile data streaming.
- Please note the quality and connectivity of your Remote Play experience may vary depending on your mobile carrier network and network environment.
- View Share Screen Broadcasts on PlayStation App
- Starting next Thursday, September 23, a PlayStation App update will begin rolling out globally and give users the ability to view their friends’ Share Screen broadcasts together.
- To start, join a party voice chat from your mobile device with a friend who’s playing on a PlayStation 5 console. Then ask your friend on PlayStation 5 to start their Share Screen broadcast. Please note, only players on PlayStation 5 can broadcast via Share Screen.
- The Android version of the update is a phased release and may take one week until the update is available on your mobile device.
PlayStation 4 Console Enhancements
We’re also introducing some new features for PlayStation 4, including the ability for players to view their PlayStation 5 trophies on their PlayStation 4 profile and Trophy list. Players can also view other players’ PlayStation 5 trophies on PlayStation 4. On both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles, Party owners now also have the ability to disband a Party without having to remove players individually.
A new trailer for the PS5 September Update has been released as well:
For help in installing a M.2 SSD, Sony released a video as well: