In Mass Effect 3, Commander Shepard has the ability to learn bonus powers from the squadmates that he recruits onboard his Normandy.
There are over ten bonus powers that you can teach Shepard regardless of the class you picked early on. Based on your relationship with the characters in your squad, you will have an opportunity to learn their powers but from the two that you can learn, only one can be used at a time for a small fee. To unlock them, go to the Med Bay in Normandy, there’s a console there where you can purchase the abilities that you learned from your squad. Once you buy a power, you can then use skill points to level them up.
There are a few powers that can be missed in the game. Make sure that at every Priority mission that you do, consult with your squadmates because you never know what bonus powers they can give you. Also, there are about three powers that can be unlocked after finishing the DLC missions; primarily Leviathan and Omega.
Here’s our guide on “How to unlock Bonus Powers in Mass Effect 3:”
- Inferno Grenade – This power automatically unlocks after recruiting Ashley after Priority: The Citadel II.
- Marksman – Talk to Ashley in the Starboard Observation after clearing Priority: The Citadel II. She will invite you to the Memorial Wall where you can talk to her. She will give you the Marksman power afterward.
- Proximity Mine – After Priority Thessia, talk to Garrus in the Normandy.
- Fortification – Talk to James Vega in the Shuttle Bay right after finishing Priority: Mars mission. Have a spar with him and he will give you the power right after.
- Carnage – Following the attack of Cerberus in the Citadel (Priority: Tuchanka), go talk to James in the Normandy to learn Carnage.
- Armor Piercing Ammo – After Priority: Palaven, talk to Garrus in the Main Battery.
- Warp Ammo – After Priority Tuchanka, talk to Liara in her quarters.
- Defense Matrix – Talk to EDI on the bridge after clearing Priority: The Citadel II
- Decoy – Talk to EDI on the bridge after finishing Priority: Horizon
- Defense Drone – After clearing Priority: Rannoch, talk to Tali in the Presidium Commons in the Citadel
- Energy Drain – After Priority: Perseus Veil, invite Tali to your quarters
- Stasis – After Priority: Thessia, immediately speak to Liara. This ability can be missed if you fail to talk to Liara right away.
- Barrier – Recruit Kaiden after Priority: The Citadel II and you will unlock this power
- Reave – Another missable power. Talk to Kaiden right away in the Starboard Observation Longue after Priority: The Citadel II.
- Slam – Talk to Javik after he joins your squad in Normandy.
- Dark Channel – Talk to Javik after finishing Priority: Horizon mission
- Dominate – Complete Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
- Lash – Talk to Aria T’Loak after finishing Mass Effect 3: Omega
- Flare – Talk to Aria T’Loak after finishing Mass Effect 3: Omega